When my friend and I were planning for the Bali part of the SE Asia trip, we weren’t looking for a luxury hotel (although they have gorgeous hotels like W Hotel and Bulgari Hotel Resort) since we were going to a nice hotel in Phuket shortly after Bali and we didn’t want to stay at a hostel either.
We wanted to stay at a place where we can really have the Balinese experience.
Bali is an island that offers a wide variety of sights (Balinese culture, rice fields, temples, coffee plantations, mountains, to beaches… the list goes on). So when deciding to choose the hotel, we also had to narrow down which area we wanted to have our accommodation at.
Since we had 4 nights in Bali, we decided to spend 2 nights in Ubud and 2 nights near Uluwatu (Southern part of Bali – between Nusa Dua and Jimbaran in the map below)
After doing lots of research and reading tons of reviews on Trip Advisor, we finally decided to book our stay at Alam Shanti in Ubud for the two days in Bali.
Below is a review based on my stay at Alam Shanti in July 2012.
- Located in Ubud (1 hour drive from the airport)
- The hotel is located near the Monkey forest (about 10 minute walk)
- Complimentary shuttle car is available on request to and from the centre of Ubud
- Rates may vary slightly depending on the the room, but for the room we got, Indus room, the rate was $115 USD per night + 15%tax, include breakfast and afternoon tea
- Airport pick-up is available at $25 USD per car (highly recommended)
- As part of the welcome package, they offer discounts at the Alam Shanti Spa
- For reservations, you have to e-mail them at firstname.lastname@example.org (from my experience, they were very prompt with their responses about the reservation)
- They also have a driver at the hotel fluent in English that offer private tours around Bali in an air conditioned van. Our driver’s name was Dewa Parsi and he was the nicest Balinese person we’ve met. And for the whole day, it was 500,000 IDR total, which is only about $50 USD!
- Overall: It was a beautiful hotel. Waking up in the morning at this hotel made me feel like “Wow. I’m really in Bali.” The rates are also very reasonable and the hotel is very clean. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a place to stay in Ubud :)
- For the link to Trip Advisor reviews about Alam Shanti, click here